Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Surviving to Thriving

A couple of weekends ago, my family went to meet with some relatives from my husband's side.  While speaking to his cousin, Jennifer, she recommended the book "Year of Biblical Womanhood" by Rachel Held Evans.  I find myself easily distracted so I asked if she could message me the book title, because I knew I would forget.  And, I did.  I couldn't wait for her to get me the title and so that night I thumbed through the Amazon booklist on my kindle, searching for the book.  If I came across the title, surely I would remember it.  During my search I came across the book "My So-Called Life As A Proverbs 31 Wife" by Sara Horn.  Reading over the description, the fact that she had to leave her domestic diva project to take on a full time job, peaked my interest.  It's very similar to how I feel in this season of my life.  Not the domestic diva part... the going to work a full time job part.  I wondered how working outside the home, away from everything I consider to be my most important job in life, could relate to the woman from Proverbs 31.  A few minutes later, the book was a part of my teeny tiny kindle library.

 I haven't been able to get into a book for a while now.  Besides reading my bible and skimming through some home schooling books, I just can't seem to stay on task when it comes to reading.  This book was a great read and I finished it in a week.

The two previous seasons that I have worked full time, left me feeling like I barely survived.  Trying to manage household responsibilities and two children was about all I could handle.  I'm sad to say that my husband and our marriage got the short end of the stick.  I want this season of work to be different.  I want to finish the season knowing that I took steps towards being the woman that God desires me to be.  I want to live intentionally, to step away from barely surviving to thriving and loving EVERY aspect of the life I've been given.

No comments: