Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Woman Who Fears the Lord #4

The Woman Who Fears the Lord
 
A Study of Proverbs 31
Verse 13
"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands."
 
 
Let's hope that God didn't mean this literally.  I have no idea how to make material, let alone raise sheep to get wool or grow flax.  My heart goes out to the women who used to do that. 
 
Let's take this verse and interpret it two ways.  The first will be precisely and the second will be more broad.
 
1)  God wants me to either raise sheep and have a field of flax or go out and get some from a local farmer.  I am to use the supplies and make enough fabric for everything we need, then I need to sew.  Sew.  Sew????  Clothes, towels, bedding, etc.  I need to do it with a cheerful spirit and be consistent in my work.
 

 
That makes me feel overwhelmed...  Right now I am having a hard enough time making sure what we have is clean, let alone making everything from scratch.  And with a cheerful spirit????
 
 
2)  God wants me to use the resources that are available to me to take care of my family's clothing needs and our household needs.  I need to do that with a cheerful spirit and be consistent so that my family has what they need.
 
Less overwhelmed... because this is doable.  I'm not perfect at it yet, but I have found ways to clothe my family without paying full retail price for things.  On-line garage sales, consignment stores, sales, gifts and hand me downs from family and friends take care of my children.  I usually only shop for myself when there is a sale or I have a coupon.  My husband hasn't had new clothes for years.  (Like I said, I'm not perfect.)  He doesn't really care about his clothes and so I'm going to have to make his wardrobe my new project.
 
Bedding, coats, towels, etc. we have gotten as gifts or hand me downs.
 
(A lot of people go to garage sales and have great success.  Garage sales make me frustrated and I end up wasting a lot of time and gas or buying things we can happily live without.)
 
 
Now let's talk about my attitude and how consistent I am... 
 
I don't like spending money.  It scares me and makes me question my choices. 
 
I am not consistent but I have gotten better. 
 
I'm praying that I will be encouraged to grow as I study Proverbs 31.
 
 
 

No comments: