Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Discussing the Birds and the Frogs

We currently live on a very quiet road.  The kind of road where you can walk on the road without seeing any cars at all. 

This evening, my husband, our two sons and I enjoyed a leisurely stroll together.  The boys and I hunted for caterpillars on the milkweed that grows on the side of the road and we observed two birds trying to chase off a hawk. 

As we walked, Matthew told me about how there had been a daddy frog calling all the women frogs at his Aunt's house.  "Come here ladies, is what the frog said."  I asked why the daddy frog was calling the lady frogs.  "So they could lay their eggs in the water."


 

We stopped to listen to a red winged black bird who was calling out.  Matthew wondered out loud what the bird was saying.  I said that it would be interesting to know what the daddy bird was saying and Matthew informed me that it wasn't a daddy bird, it was mommy bird.  "The mommy bird is telling the daddy bird that it's time for dinner."

Someday we'll have to talk about the birds and the bees.  For now, we'll just talk about the birds and the frogs.

No comments: