Monday, February 17, 2014

Waiting

"I just can't wait!  I'm so excited!"





My seven year old son, Matthew, exclaimed this every 2 minutes one cold and snowy Saturday.  He was waiting for a friend to arrive and needless to say, he was a little excited.

This is when I had a magical mommy moment.  It's a moment where wise words pour from my lips.  Not too many words, not too little and with the exact meaning needed for the situation.

"Matthew, they will get here when they get here.  Since you have to wait anyway, let's find something to do to enjoy the time we must spend waiting."

"Okay, mom.  But, I'm just so excited!!!"

A minute after finding something to keep my active child, well, active, I heard a small voice inside my head tell me to take my own advice.

See, I have no problem waiting for my friend to come over for our mommy play date (that's secretly disguised as a child's play date), I have no problem waiting in line at the grocery store, waiting at a traffic light, waiting for my children to fall asleep, or even waiting for the yummy casserole to finish cooking in the oven.  I've mastered the skill of short term waiting. It's the long term waiting that I'm not so good at.


So, here I am.

Waiting.

Waiting for Spring.

Waiting for home ownership.

Waiting for clear direction on what my role is as a wife and mom when it comes to finances.

Waiting on prayers that I feel need to be answered.


I need to follow my own advice.  I will find something to do and enjoy this season of waiting.


No comments: