Monday, February 3, 2014

A Grocery Shopping Victory

I accidentally stumbled upon nothing short of a miracle when it comes to taking my two children grocery shopping with me.





Hello.  My name is Wendelyn Daly and I am a recovering shop-a-phobic.  I STRONGLY dislike shopping and will avoid it to the degree of being able to compare myself to Old Mother Hubbard.

My problem started when my husband and I had our second child.  I reached my limit of multi-tasking.

God bless the moms I see shopping with three, four, five, even six children in the store.  They deserve awards... and chocolate... and a drink of their choice.

Liam took the front seat on the cart, Matt rode on the end.  (I know, I know, safety hazard.  I'm pretty sure who ever made that rule never had to take children to the store or tried to steer the two seat-er tanks around target.)

Then, Liam got old enough to vocalize how much he did not want to ride in the seat and Matthew became to heavy to push on the front of the cart.  Add in an extremely strict budget, a detailed grocery list, price matching, coupons, lobsters, fish and a pony.

Grocery shopping was a nightmare.

We need food.  It's just part of life.  Since eating takeout for every meal is not a feasible option, I needed a plan.

My idea started with choosing one day to grocery shop and sticking to that day.  The first week I chose Friday and it happened to be the same day I needed to take Liam in to see the doctor.  At 9:00.  Plus, we had plans for lunch after.  Knowing it would be the death of me to take a sick, tired and cranky three year old to the store during nap time, I opted to go before.  We were in the store by 7:30, out by 8:30 and got to our doctor's appointment by 8:56.

The store is considerably empty at 8:00 in the morning.  Matthew was able to push the cart, not run into people and Liam was able to walk with us.  I got my list checked off and we were done!

A grocery shopping miracle!  Kind and gracious to both my children the entire trip.  Who deserves an award now?

We've continued our early morning shopping trips for the last month.  Not always as early as the first one, but we're done by 10:00.

This mama is a happy camper.  My seven year old and I take turns reading the list and crossing things off.  Both children get complimented often by other shoppers on how well behaved they are and we make time to stop and see the lobsters.

Getting up a little earlier than normal is well worth it.  The isles are empty and all three of us feel more kind and cooperative earlier in the morning.

We may just be able to keep on eating.






No comments: