Monday, February 10, 2014

Showing Love in Marriage, A Call to Serve

I was asked why I want to get up with my husband before he goes to work.  It was a question laced with ridicule and a hint of "Are you crazy?" Now, I'm not sure if the person who asked me really felt that way, or if it was just how I filtered the question.  I have a filter that was created from our first 9 years of marriage and it's hard to change the way I see things.

 Until three and half years ago, my marriage was about survival.  How do we make it through another day without leaving each other or killing each other.

Yet, God has healed our marriage.




It's not perfect, but the love we had for each other 13 years ago continues to grow and strengthen us.  I am so blessed to even be writing this.  I am blessed to be loved by a man who is committed to me, takes care of me, lightens my load, gives me stuff to laugh at, shares in parenting our two boys and loves to spend time with me.

How can I show him love?  How can I strengthen a marriage that is already great?

I can serve him.


Some of you may be laughing at me.  Maybe you're calling my therapist because you think I have officially lost my mind.  Serving others is not what our culture teaches.  You take care of you first and then you take care of others.  It's similar to putting your air mask on first before helping your child get theirs on when your plane starts to go down.


There is truth in that.  If I am drained, physically or mentally, I am not a whole lot of good to anyone.

need my sleep and I don't need to get up crazy early.  I have stuff to do but only when it's light out.

Still, there has to be balance.

If I constantly look out for me, I miss giving my husband opportunities to lead, to help me, to grow in the role of a husband.

If I don't look for ways to be submissive, to help my husband, and to grow in my role as a wife, I miss out on God's plan for me... for us.

The next time I am asked why I am getting up with my husband, my answer will be "It's something I do to serve my husband."

If asked to explain further, I'll say,

 "It's something I can do to put his wants and needs before my own."

or

"It's something I can do and even more, it's something I WANT to do."


"You, my brothers, were called to be free.  But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love."

Galatians 5:13






No comments: