Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Woman Who Fears the Lord #20

The Woman Who Fears the Lord
Study of Proverbs 31
Verse 29

"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

This verse is a continuation of verse 28.  Our friend Mrs. Proverbs' hubby is telling her this.  He is telling her that out of all the women out there, she is the most awesome.

The most awesome woman ever?
I mean, she surpasses ALL of the many women who do noble things.

Before we all go start playing the comparison game, let's think about what the rest of the bible says about comparison.

"Each one should test his own actions.  Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."   Galatians 6:4-5

"The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him."  Romans 14:3


Proverbs 31:29 is not telling us to try to surpass every woman out there.  Comparison is a slippery slope and it's been my experience that someone always loses.

Thoughts become habits and habits become character.


Here's what I believe this verse is telling me.

I am the best wife for my husband.





With God's love and guidance, I will continue to grow in character.

As my character grows stronger, I am able to bless those around me.

My community, my friends, my family, my children and my husband.


It doesn't really matter if my neighbor down the street keeps her house cleaner than mine and it doesn't really matter if I keep my house cleaner than yours.  Just like it doesn't matter who is the best cook, parent, employee, money manager, crafter, singer, dresser...

What matters is that I am doing my best to fill the roles I have been given.

Not the best, but my best.

I think our friend Mrs. Proverbs would agree.



A Woman Who Fears the Lord #19

A link to my study on Proverbs 31

No comments: