Saturday, September 14, 2013

Week Two of the Spending Freeze Challenge

My husband and I attempting to change our future by taking control of our money.  We want to purchase a house and I don't want our mistakes to be the reason we can't.

We have just finished week #2 of our spending freeze.  We use our money for bills, gas to get to work and other commitments we have made, and groceries.

This week I spent $98.47 on groceries.  I had budgeted $100.00 and felt pretty good about coming in under budget.  Until I got home and realized that we needed diapers and $8.00 for the Wednesday night meal at our church. 

Liam's not ready to give up on diapers.  He can go all day and only use one for a bowel movement, but so far he has need to be at home and half naked to do this.

The diapers and Wednesday night dinner put us $24.00 over budget.





Here are a few of our spending freeze successes for this past week---

* I based our weekly menu on what was on sale at the grocery store.  I happened to catch the last few minutes of an interview with the author of "Miserly Moms" on Focus on the Family.  She said that the front and back pages of the grocery store sales flyer are foods that they are selling at a loss to get customers into the store.  I went to Krogers, Martins, Meijers, and Aldis.  Next week I'll be going to Aldis first because I saw a few things that were even cheaper there than the other store's sales.

* We ate at our church Wednesday night which left no lunch for my husband to take the next day.  Normally, I would have given him a $5 and said to eat cheap.  This time, I got up at 5:30, made him grilled cheese sandwiches and some breakfast.

* My oldest son has soccer practice twice a week.  I'm working late this season and could have met them to watch practice.  Instead, I went home and made dinner.  I had my husband give them a big snack before they left and we all just ate a late dinner.

* We're adjusting our meal times.  Dinner should be at 6:00 but when I don't get home until 6:00, it makes it a little challenging.  Before the spending freeze, I would just grab takeout on my way home.  With the spending freeze, we eat when dinner is ready.

* A neighbor invited us to come to their church's Fall Festival.  I usually avoid situations where I don't know anyone and I don't go to church events that are not at our church.  I guess I feel like the church is trying to get new members and since we're not interested in finding a new church, we shouldn't go.  This time we went.  It was free, everyone was friendly and welcoming, the boys had a blast and it was only a mile from our home.


 Crafts that the boys did at the Fall Festival.








Fall Festival Face Painting




To read more about our Spending Freeze challenge, click on this link: Frugal Living

http://www.miserlymoms.com/default.htm

No comments: