Monday, September 9, 2013

Frugal Meals: Creamed Chicken and Biscuit Casserole

I have cut our grocery budget in half this month. 

Not an easy thing to do and I'm still working on perfecting my system. 

If you can call chaos a system. 

I'm trying to purchase less prepared foods and make homemade.  That means my dear husband won't have dinner ready for me when I get home from work.  :-(  The man does great with 3-5 step recipes and grilling, but I don't know if he wants to be in charge of recipes like this one...

Creamed Chicken and Biscuit Casserole

 
Note- This hasn't been baked yet!  The guys will be leaving for soccer practice before I return home from work and my husband will be baking this in the oven for their dinner.  Hopefully they will save me some!
 
I found whole chickens on sale this week and put one in the crock pot before leaving for work this morning.  I used the leftover chicken for this recipe and changed a few ingredients to match what we had on hand.
 
The biscuits are homemade freezer biscuits.  I made one batch and got the 11 you see on the casserole and 9 more that are currently in the freezer.
 
Biscuits from a can are inexpensive but when you are watching every penny, making them is much cheaper.  An added bonus is they are healthier for us, too.
Instead of spending $4 on biscuits, I bought French toast sticks for Liam and napkins. 
 
Liam was getting French toast sticks a couple of times a week.  Now he gets it every other week for a special treat. 
 
 As far as the napkins go, one night while we were sleeping, the cats had a napkin party.  They didn't even have the courtesy to hide the evidence.  My napkins are safely tucked away now.
 
   
 
This is my first time making both recipes and I will let you know how it turns out!
 
9-10-11
 



 
Soccer practice was canceled and I got to enjoy the meal with my family.
 
I give the biscuits two thumbs up.  I will definitely be making those again. 
 
I think the casserole needed something different.  I had used corn instead of the red pepper or other ingredients they recommended.  Everyone in my family likes corn and it was what I had on hand but the combination wasn't the tastiest.
 
My husband said we could add the recipe to our meal rotation.
 
Liam said it was "good" and had two helpings.
 
Matthew didn't gag when he tasted it but said he was undecided about his opinion.  I take the not gagging as a good sign with this kiddo.

http://www.food.com/recipe/potsies-creamed-chicken-and-biscuits-casserole-110047

http://moneysavingmom.com/2013/02/homemade-freezer-biscuits-recipe.html

No comments: