Saturday, September 28, 2013

Week Four of the Spending Freeze Challenge

Four weeks have passed since my husband and I agreed to stop any and all unnecessary spending.

WE  C H A L L E N G E D  O U R S E L V E S  T O  A  S P E N D I N G  FREEZE

Our mortgage fell through about a week before we were supposed to close on a home.  While the timing was not something we caused, the reason it happened belonged to us.

I'm not sure what the future holds but the last month has been a real eye opener for us.



We decided to give ourselves a minimal grocery budget of $100 per week and stopped any and all extra driving to help keep fuel costs to a minimum.  The only spending money that was allowed was $1.00 for each of the boys to spend at the weekly soccer games.

This week, I spent $90.13 for groceries.  I saved the $9.87 for the following week so that I can get coffee.  I have a Kurig Vue and allow myself one cup of coffee per day and a package of Vue packs lasts me a little more than 2 weeks.  It's one luxury that could be cut out if needed.  Thankfully, it's not needed yet!

The biggest thing that made a difference this month is not eating out.  We have not bought any family meals at restaurant for the month of September.  (I bought a meal at McDonalds for myself earlier this month.)  This is a huge accomplishment for us.  Huge.

We usually nickel and dime our way to having no money.  Swipe the debit card here.  Pay a couple dollars in cash there.  Rationalize this purchase by using a coupon.  All of these small purchases leave us behind on bills and living paycheck to paycheck.  This month was drastically different.

I just paid our first October bill on September 27.  That's right, four days early. 
(Can you tell I am super excited!!)

We're officially caught up and ahead on things.




My husband and I discussed how successful this month was and I asked him what he felt we needed to do to save the money needed for a home purchase.   He suggested another Spending Freeze month and I quickly agreed. 

The only difference for October's Spending Freeze is that we're going to budget in a small amount of cash for each of us to spend.

I'm a little nervous about October.

It was easy for me to be on a Spending Freeze while I was working.  (Maybe not easy, but easier.)

Starting October 5th, I'll be home with our two children and some old habits are going to have to be thrown out with the trash.

Let's see if I'm up to the challenge.  :-)


To read more about our Spending Freeze challenge, click on this link: Frugal Living

No comments: