Saturday, September 7, 2013

Week One of the Spending Freeze Challenge

My husband and I are going to change our financial future if it kills us.  It'll more likely kill him, but that's another story.

My plan (that my husband has agreed to) is to spend no extra money for the entire month of September and to keep our basic spending needs to a minimum.  We need to make sure all of our bills are paid on time, there are no negative balances in our checking and we need to put some serious money into savings.

Week one was a success.

As a family, we did not eat out once. 

I went to a fundraiser/paint a picture event with friends this week.  I had already paid for it before the Spending Freeze went into effect.  It was held at a small cafĂ© and I had $7 to buy dinner.  I had come straight from work and I knew I wouldn't be able to make it until I got home at close to 10:00 to eat.  Problem was that the meals they were serving were $10.  I ordered water, painted my picture and drove through McDonalds immediately after the event.  Not as yummy, but for $4.27, I stayed within my budget.




I allotted $80 for groceries this week and needed $15 of that to buy one of the wristbands for the rides at the festival we attended on Monday.  A friend of mine offered to cover the cost of the other wristband and parking in exchange for me helping out with her kids while she ran in a 5K.  I packed food and a gallon of sweet tea.  We had fun the whole day and only spent the $15 for the one wristband.






Which leads me back to groceries.  I spent $58 on groceries but it was not enough.  Don't get me wrong, we ate a meal every night and my husband had a lunch to take to work everyday, but our cupboards were B.A.R.E. 

This week I'm going to have to do something different...


To read more about our Spending Freeze challenge, click on this link: Frugal Living

No comments: