Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Tortillas

Part of my job as a preschool teacher is to eat meals with the children.  It provides a level of quality in our care, plus it saves me lots of time and money.  This season, our cook has been phenomenal!  She really cares about the food she makes and it has made our season very yummy.  This woman makes most of her food from scratch and that includes homemade tortilla shells.
 
Now that I have tasted her tortilla shells, the ones I buy in the store taste like wood.
 
So I begged and pleaded until she gave me the recipe.
 
Then I came back and yelled at her (not really) because she was keeping a key ingredient hostage.
 
Homemade Tortillas
 
Ingredients:
 
3 cups of flour
 
3 Tbl. of butter, softened
 
1 tsp. of Salt
 
1 tsp. of Baking Powder
 
Up to 1 cup of Steaming HOT Water
 
 
Hot water is the key here.  If you use cold or warm, you won't be able to roll out the tortillas.
 
Mix the dry ingredients and then add the butter until it is crumbly.  Slowly add the water until the mixture is dough like.  It needs to be slightly sticky.
 
I used my Kitchen Aid and that made it super easy to make.
 
 
 

 
Let the dough rest for approx. 20 minutes.
 
 
Then divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape each piece into a ball.


 
 
The first one I rolled out stuck to my cutting board.  I sprayed my cutting board one time with non-stick spray and it was good for all 12 tortillas.
 
Using a rolling pin, begin rolling the ball outwards, almost like a fan.
 
 
 
 
Roll it until you are satisfied with the size and shape.
 
 
Just be aware- they get thicker as the cook!
 
 
 
 
I used a non-stick skillet to cook mine.  I did not have to use any non-stick spray.
 
Cook each side for a minute over medium heat.
 
 
 
 
Homemade Tortillas
 
Yum!
 
(My entire family approved.  Even the picky eater.)


 
My tortillas still don't taste as good as hers and they will probably never look as good, but she's got over 30 years of tortilla making experience. 
 
They might not be AS good as hers, but they're still 100% better than the ones I buy at the store.
 
You can also freeze them.  Just place a piece of wax paper between each shell, place it in a freezer bag and freeze.


Update:  February 18, 2014

I haven't purchased tortillas since September of 2013 and I've learned a few more things that may help you make this recipe.

1) You can mix 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour to make a healthier version.  The tortillas taste delicious and are hubby and child approved!

2) Letting the dough sit for longer than 20 minutes makes it even easier to roll out.  I  have been leaving them for 45 minutes... unless I get distracted and forget.

3) Cook the tortillas on medium/high heat.  You have to watch them closely but it makes them a nice golden brown.




No comments: