Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Woman Who Fears the Lord #16

The Woman Who Fears the Lord
Study of Proverbs 31
Verse 25

"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at days to come."

What does it look like to be clothed in strength and dignity?

What does it feel like to release ALL your fears to God and laugh at days to come?

Let's get real here.  If Mrs. Proverbs was a real person, she made mistakes.  Bad things happened to her because life just works that way sometimes and because sometimes, a person makes the wrong choices.

Yet, it doesn't say anything about her life's rough patches in this chapter.

This leads me to wonder who our friend Mrs. Proverbs really is...

1) Mrs. Proverbs was a model and guide to be used as inspiration, growth and personal reflection.

or

2) Mrs. Proverbs was a real person and they just didn't tell the whole story.

or

3) Proverbs 31 is based off the characteristics of several women who each had areas of strength.


We read Proverbs 31 and it shines a spot light on this woman.  This seemingly awesome, great at everything she does, perfect person-- yet we must remember, we are not perfect. I can only think of one person who was.

We can each learn from the truths and the just plain good advice found in Proverbs 31.  It can encourage us.  It can challenge us.  It can create a deeper connection to God.  It can help change us to be the women God wants us to be.

Do I see myself clothed in strength and dignity?  Nope.  I see myself as a stumbling mess who can be strong or who can be found curled up on the kitchen floor, crying because I feel so overwhelmed.  Not very dignified.

On this journey we call life, I will use this verse to aspire to trust God more.

Maybe the next time I am feeling overwhelmed, I will remember this verse.  I will pick myself up spiritually by praying and then literally so I can go about my tasks.

Believing that God is in control and that He loves me because I am his child will help me laugh at the days to come...

I'll start small and remember our friend, Mrs. Proverbs.




No comments: