Monday, January 27, 2014

A Season of Personal Reflection

A tangled mess of knots.  Twists, turns, loops all contributed to the chaos that was my skein of yarn.  It decreased my productivity and my enjoyment in the project.  What should have taken me three hours ended up taking me twenty.






I assured myself that I had just grabbed the wrong end.  Next time I would be more careful and avoid that mistake.

Yet, it kept happening.  With a majority of the skeins.

Frustrated with my lack of ability to choose the right end, I decided to undertake the tedious task of untangling the labyrinth of yarn that was beginning to cause me to loose interest in a hobby.

Rolling the yarn into a ball took a couple of hours but when I was done, I had a tidy little ball of yarn that unrolled without causing chaos and delay.





It's a lot like life.

I go through my day attempting to be productive and joyful but the knots, twists, turns and loops inevitably get in my way.  I stop and do a quick fix because frankly, that's all I have time for.  Those quick fixes don't last very long and again I get flustered, overwhelmed and stand on the edge of giving up.  I blame myself for not being smart enough to make the right choices.

I can't control everything that life throws at me but I can control my reaction to life by being at peace with myself.

I am taking the time to slow down, smooth things out, and focus on every knot that rears it's ugly head.

A season of personal reflection, nurturing relationships and organizing our home renews my spirit, allowing for more productivity and joy.  It's just what I needed.





Skein, noun: a long piece of yarn or thread that is loosely wound.
Merriam Webster Dictionary




No comments: