Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Underestimating God

I underestimate God.  I just expect the minimum to avoid disappointment. 

Often, God surprises me with a greater and bigger plan that I could have never seen coming.

Flash back a year and a half ago.  I joined the worship team at our new church to meet people.

Now, come back to the present.  The worship team leader invited everyone who helps out with that part of the service to a cook out and pool party.  I planned on going until my insecurities began to take over.  Then, I hear this small voice remind me why I even joined the team.  To meet people.  Point taken.

So, we went and we had fun.  So much fun, we were the last ones out of the pool.  :-)




Everyone was so kind and I got to meet and talk to people that I normally wouldn't have.  The whole day was just such a wonderful experience and I got to thinking about all the blessings my family and I have received since I started singing on the worship team.

  • I have met new people and can see friendships beginning to form.
  • It's helped me be more comfortable at our church.  If you can get up in front of 400-500 people and sing, you can easily go to church on Sunday morning and talk to people.
  • My level of worship has increased.  Singing is one form of worship that has always made me feel close to God.  It's been amazing to feel an even stronger connection.
  • I research the songs we'll be singing.  When I know the author's story or what they were thinking when they wrote the song, it makes the song more meaningful to me.
  • My children have begun to worship God through music.  When I began practicing and listening to more worship music, my children joined in.  I love to hear my two year old singing "How Great Thou Art."  Matthew, who is seven, enjoys worship music so much he's expressed an interest in working with me to write our own worship song.
  • I am more confident in God.  I may not be Mariah Carey, but God can use what talent I have.
  • My husband is proud of me and that's a good thing.  :-)
  • I am learning to appreciate the encouragement that others offer me.  It has never, ever been an easy thing for me to accept compliments.  I have a huge, enormous, monster sized fear of pride.  After much prayer and a discussion with a friend, I just look at the kind things they say as a form of encouragement.


All I wanted was to meet more people but God had bigger plans for me and for my family. 

I think He's awesome.

No comments: