Monday, July 29, 2013

The funny things they say...

I don't know if I think my family is hilarious because I love them, because I spend too much time around them or because my standards have been twisted.  But, they are.  And, they make me laugh.  (Sorry to all the English majors out there for beginning a sentence with but and another one with and.)

These are two conversations we had at dinner tonight.

Looking at his plate, Matthew said "This looks gross."

(In his defense, dinner did look gross.  I had added two extra cups of water to the crockpot dinner this morning so the rice didn't get dry.  I can say with total and complete confidence that the rice was NOT dry.)

I said, "If you can't say anything nice about my cooking, don't say anything at all.  Or I just may never feed you again."

Ten minutes later, Matthew must have tried his rice.  I wasn't even going to ask him to because I was having a hard time eating it myself.

Matthew, "Yum!  This rice is good mom!  I'm so sorry that I discomplimented you earlier.  It really is good."

Me, "Did you say discompliment?

Matthew, "Yes.  I didn't compliment you and so, I discomplimented you."

Me, "Well, thank you for the compliment." 

(Later we went over what the opposite of the word compliment was.)




After the boys had been excused.

Me, "Sorry, dinner was so gross."

Chuck, "It was okay.  I've had worse."

very long, drawn out pause...

Chuck, "Not your cooking of course.  Just saying that I've had worse."

Nice recovery, my dear.  Nice recovery.


No comments: