Thursday, July 25, 2013

Caterpillar Update

When I went to bed last night, both caterpillars were happily munching on the milkweed.  This morning, Friendship was still munching away but Baby's munching hole was the same size.  I gently touched Baby and found that he was no longer alive.

A moment of panic washed over me.  Matt's caterpillar had died.  Had this milkweed been sprayed with a chemical and killed it?  No, because Friendship was still busy eating.  Then I wondered if leaving them both on the same milkweed leaf had been a mistake.  It was a big leaf, but I don't know how territorial caterpillars are with their leaf.  Friendship might have murdered Baby.  Not very friendly and just a little ironic. (If this is the case.)

Ahh... 7:00 a.m. drama in the Daly Household. 

Matt decided he wanted to give Baby a proper burial and we decided that we'll have to go out caterpillar hunting this weekend.  This time, I'm getting an extra milkweed plant.

Bye-bye, Baby.  :-(


Baby the monarch butterfly caterpillar.
Hatched, 7-22-13  -  Died, 7-25-13
"He was a munchin' kind of fellow that brought children joy."

No comments: