Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week Eight of the Spending Freeze Challenge

My husband and I have set out on a mission to change our financial future.  It all began when a mix-up with the mortgage company caused an additional probe into our finances and we were turned down for the mortgage... a week before we were scheduled to close.

We've fixed our end of the problem, saved again for the earnest money, enrolled and began taking classes for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and are now just waiting.  Praying.

Some habits die hard, but my will is even more stubborn.




We spent $104.72 on groceries for the last week. 

My seasonal job is over and the two new businesses I have started will take a while to take off.

Hubby has picked up overtime to help us meet our bare minimum needs without dipping into savings.



Last week I spent money on our youngest son's birthday party.  He had been asking to go to Chuck E Cheese for his birthday.  I looked into the party package and it was way above our limit.  So, I simplified.






The first thing I got rid of was the goodie bags filled with toys that will break and not hold children's interest for very long.  I figured the prizes the children would get from the tickets they earned could easily take the traditional goody bag's place.  I invested $2.38 in bags, brought my own sharpie and created a new tradition.

We cut our guest list way down.  It meant not inviting all of MY friends but my now 3 year old had a blast with the 5 of his friends that came.

I printed off coupons from their website, remembered to bring them and remembered to use them.

I drank water.  I know, sounds kind of silly.  What's $2?  Well, it's $2 and if you add it with the little bit I saved here and the money I saved there, the total saved or not spent in this case, can be a lot.

Here's some info on the two businesses I have started and the blog post that inspired me to question my beliefs and give me strength to think outside the box.

The Woman Who Fears the Lord #7

My Simply Fun Website

Daly Photography Facebook Page








No comments: