Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Lessons Learned From Our Spending Freeze Challenge

Two months have passed since my husband and I challenged ourselves to spend no extra money and to spend bare minimum on what is absolutely necessary.



We had some great results.

- We've saved money for the earnest payment when we go to purchase a home.

- We have half of our emergency fund saved.

- We cut out our satellite television.  So far, this has saved us over $160.00.

- I am more purposeful in what we do and how often we do it.

- I'm really happy with being at home and staying home saves us money.

- We don't need most of the things we think we do.

- The little choices have big results.

We're still learning.

- It only takes a day or two of careless choices to throw us off track.  I feel like most of this falls on me when it comes to the biggest added expense--- eating out.  If I don't plan ahead, have food available and remember to take or send the food, we eat out.  I'm still working on this area.

- I have to spend a little money to save a lot of money.  Shopping ahead and finding sales are not areas I excel in. 

- I have to go to the grocery store to buy food.  This will prevent last minute purchases, unnecessary trips to the store and paying more for things.  I really don't like shopping but I need to put my big girl panties on and get over it.

- The little choices have big results.

This month I am going to be working on doing our main grocery shopping every other week.  We'll see if a little planning, a busy shopping day and hunting down the best sales will help us or hurt us.

No comments: