Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Homemade Yogurt, A Slow Cooker Recipe

 
Homemade Yogurt
A Slow Cooker Recipe
 
 
 
1) Heat 2 liters/9 cups of milk in the slow cooker on low for 2 hours.
 
2) Turn the slow cooker off and leave milk to cool for approximately 3 hours.
 
3) After you have allowed the milk to cool, remove 2 cups of the milk and mix in 4 Tablespoons of plain yogurt.  (I had to specifically buy plain yogurt for this recipe because my family will not touch the stuff.)
 
5) Replace the lid, wrap your slow cooker in a towel or blanket and leave 8-10 hours or overnight.
 
6) Remove 4 Tablespoons and put in a freezable container to have your starter for the next time you make this recipe.  (I've heard that you just have to remove the water before mixing it with the milk.)
 
7) I added 1 tsp. of vanilla and 1 cup of sugar to the yogurt.  Since my family wouldn't touch the undoctored yogurt, adding these two things made it appealing to them.
 
8) Place in a airtight container and refrigerate.
 
 
This yogurt is much thinner than what you purchase in the store.  It looks like soup in the slow cooker but will thicken up slightly after putting it in the fridge.
 
You can also add your favorite fruits to the yogurt to make it more like the store bought.
 
 

 
My husband and oldest son, Matt, said it needed more sugar but Liam said "It's goodie."
 
I think the other two need to give the healthier version a try.  I'm sure their tastebuds will adjust.
 
 

No comments: