Friday, October 18, 2013

A Woman Who Fears the Lord #11

The Woman Who Fears the Lord #11
A Study of Proverbs 31
Verse 20
"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy."
Much has changed since this verse was written.  I imagine Mrs. Proverbs inviting needy strangers into her home to take shelter from the elements, eat a home cooked meal or lay their head down on a soft surface.  I wonder if she stopped and assisted people when she journeyed through town to take care of business or run errands.
Did they have homeless shelters back then?
A local food pantry?
I'm sure if Mrs. Proverbs was here in the 21st century, she would volunteer to help whenever and wherever she could.
I have a friend who does this.  This verse reminds me of her.  A true Proverbs 31 woman.
But, that's not me.
I'm so busy and caught up in my own life, I don't even think about volunteering to help.
I just don't think I'm very good at opening my arms to the poor or extending my hands to those in need and I wonder how many times I have let the chance to help slip away because I was too scared or too busy.
A few months ago, I had a woman approach me in the parking lot as I was loading groceries into my mini-van.  She had a boy that was about 4 years old with her.  The woman asked if I had a couple of dollars so she could buy her son some hotdogs. 
I reacted automatically and told her that I was sorry but I don't carry cash.  She and her son walked away.
I finished putting the groceries in my van, thinking about this woman and the small child.
Waves of doubt and criticism flooded my mind...
She was probably going to rob me, or use the money to buy alcohol or drugs.
She should plan how to use her food stamps more wisely.
She should find a food pantry or other resource to help her so she can get food on a regular basis.
She should get a job.
I sat in my van and tried to get this woman and her child off my mind.
Then I remembered the extra package of hotdogs I had just bought.  It hadn't been on my list and we could easily live without it.
Hot dogs aren't very healthy.  The child would need something else.
I had bought two bunches of bananas.
Surely we could live with just one bunch.
I put my van into drive and found the woman across the street, walking towards another store with her son.
I rolled down my window and called to her.  She turned and I said that I had some extra hotdogs and bananas that she could have.  I handed her the bag and she thanked me.  As I drove away, she and her son were walking away from the store and I heard her say "Look.  She gave us bananas.  Your favorite."
I didn't change the world and I doubt that I changed their lives.  I did, however, take advantage of an opportunity to help someone in need.
I haven't had another chance to help someone in a memorable way since then.
As I go throughout my daily routine, this verse can remind me to keep my eyes, and my heart, open to people in need.
For more posts about Proverbs 31, click on the following link: Proverbs 31

No comments: