Saturday, October 19, 2013

Week Seven of the Spending Freeze Challenge

We met a major goal this week.  We now have enough saved to put the earnest money down for a house.  Plus, we have extra money.
 
 
 
 
Let me tell you a little secret about myself.
 
When I do things, it's typically all or nothing.
 
 
A clean and organized home or a messy, disorganized one.
 
Eliminating a certain food or drink from my diet or just not caring at all.
 
Not spending anytime on the computer or constantly checking facebook.
 
Stay home all the time or plan so many things, I'm never there.
 
Spending no money at all whatsoever or purchasing everything we want and need.
 
 
Which brings me back to the money we've saved and continue to save.
 
I'm a teeny tiny bit controlling when it comes to our money.
 
Easy for me when we have to squeeze every single dollar
out of our budget to reach our goal, but what then?
 
What now?
 
MAKE A NEW GOAL
(and breathe)
 
I'm going to sit down with my husband so we can discuss what our new goal is.
 
My ideas so far are to put money aside for the emergency fund, moving expenses (fingers are crossed) and a frugal Christmas.
 
We'll need money for all these things but I would like to plan with my husband on them.
 
That way, we can reach the goals, have a little wiggle room and keep each other accountable.
 
 
Last week I went way over budget for our groceries, spending $127.09 instead $100 or less.
 
On a good note, we didn't run out of food.
 
 
Here are a couple of things I did to save money last week on the things we needed:
 
I shopped at goodwill to make the boys costumes.  My sister had most of the key pieces I needed for Matt's costume and the only thing I paid retail for were his glasses.
 
 
It cost me less than $21 to make and put together both costumes.
 
 
I needed yarn for a knitting project and so I used the 40% off coupon for one of the items.
 
Combining trips and staying home helped me get through this week
without needing to put gas in my van.
 
We met friends at Texas Roadhouse an evening this last week.  To save money, we ate dinner at home and then just got drinks, a snack and dessert at the restaurant.
 
 
Instead of saying no to everything, I'm trying to choose where our money will go.
 
Balance.
 
It's an unfamiliar concept, but I think it just may work.


Follow this link to read about our challenge from the beginning and other frugal ideas:
Frugal Living
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: