Saturday, October 5, 2013

Week Five of the Spending Freeze Challenge

We did it.  We conquered and overcame an entire month of spending no extra money and keeping expenses to a minimum.  Although my husband and I had different ideas on how to handle any extra money that came our way, we stopped using our paychecks for things that we could totally live without.
 
Plan ahead.
 
The children are going to get hungry and thirsty.  By planning ahead and bringing simple snacks and water, we avoided the $3-$5 purchases at gas stations and fast food places.  Don't forget about yourself.  You're going to get hungry and thirsty, too and it's so easy to spend when you're not thinking clearly.
 
 
Eat dinner before you go.
 
I met some friends this week for an informal get together.  While their salads and frappes looked yummy, I was able to stick with my plan because I had eaten before I left.  I even remembered to bring a bottle of water.
 
 
Find simple and inexpensive ways to treat yourself.
 
It was our last week of work and I typically purchase a meal out every day at these times.  (When we have students, meals are provided for the teachers so we can eat with the students but our last day of school was the week before.)  I used a coupon for a free sandwich with the purchase of a drink for Monday and used the change I found in my van to pay for that.  I brought my lunch from home on Tuesday and then a friend ended up taking me out.  Wednesday and Thursday I had off and Friday I treated myself to a meal with my co-workers.  I got water and the lunch special and only spent $10, including the tip.
 
In my family, it is a HUGE deal to be allowed to eat dinner in front of the t.v.  I rented a $1.28 movie from red box, picked up a frozen pizza for $3.33 and made homemade hot chocolate.  The boys really enjoy the special treat and I feel like we're still having fun without having to spend the $50 for dinner at a restaurant and a movie at the theatre.

 
 
We spent $100.82 on groceries this week.  The extra 82 cents was due to a meal flop.  I had made homemade bread one evening for grilled cheese sandwiches and found out that Almond Milk can not be used as a substitute for cow's milk.  Had to switch things around and picked up an extra item at the store.

This week we paid all the bills due and those coming up and were able to put a small chunk of money in to savings. 

We're making huge progress...

To read more about our Spending Freeze challenge, click on this link: Frugal Living

No comments: