Saturday, December 7, 2013

Adventures in Potty Training



Meet Liam Cedric Daly.  My baby who came out at 11 pounds, 3 ounces and was the biggest newborn in the NICU.  He was the most easy going, flexible and happy baby and young toddler.  Was...


He's three years old now and his halo often explodes when his horns creep out.

When he doesn't get the cup he wanted (but didn't tell me he wanted).

When his seven year old brother runs faster than he does.

When we're out of bananas, or french toast sticks, or suckers.

When the sun is out.

When the moon is out.

(I'm sure you get the pattern here.)

Random moments, unexpected times, and unavoidable situations.


At around two, we started letting him go around without pants or a diaper.  He knew when he had to go and would ask us to put a diaper on him.  I encouraged him to try to go on the toilet and was met with crying, screaming, and anger.  So, I backed off.

I take more of a "wait until they're ready approach" with potty training.  (Too many early childhood classes in college resulted in me being hyper aware of potential issues potty training can cause.)

Fast forward to his third birthday.  Cheerios in the toilet and peeing with his dad got us through the anxiety Liam felt when it came to peeing in the toilet.  Pooping was a whole other issue.  Liam would hold it until we put a diaper on him for bedtime or nap.

He really wants to be a big boy and do big boy things, like go to the preschool class at church. Over the last two months we had lots of conversations about how preschoolers go poop and pee on the potty.  Then, I let us run out of diapers and after holding it for two days (and making me really nervous) he went poop in the potty.

We've had no accidents and much success over the last week and here are a few things that I want to remember.  It might come in handy for future teasing and loving harassment.

1) The moments when Liam comes to me and says "Mommy, I need you to help me brave."  We make out way to the bathroom, I sit down next to him and offer encouraging words as he poops.

2) Liam laying his head on my lap and birthing his poop.  I swear it reminds me of childbirth.  He face gets all red and sweaty and he makes noises that sound like he's having a baby.

3) How proud he is of his pooping accomplishment.  I told him how proud I was and he responded "I so proud of me, too!"

4)  Talking poop.  Yesterday, as Liam sat birthing his poop, he started talking in a loud, angry and forceful voice.  I asked him why he was yelling at his poop and he told me that his poop was talking to him.  It was saying "WE WANT TO COME OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUTTTTT!"  Please note that this all happened in the bathroom at Aldi's.  Normally, I would have worried that the entire store heard Liam screaming, but Matthew's singing drowned it out.


We're headed in the right direction and it's time to celebrate by taking our big boy to Chuck-E-Cheese.  My reward is not having to buy or change diapers.

I must say, it has been quite an adventure.







No comments: