Monday, December 16, 2013

Comparison is a Slippery Slope

Comparison is the thief of joy - Teddy Roosevelt



I can't seem to help it.  I catch myself comparing my life, my children, my job, my successes, my crafts, my meals, my everything, to others.

Facebook is the worst.  It connects us to family and friends but with everyone putting the highlights of their lives on-line, it's hard to live in the raw reality of everyday.

Pinterest has its traps, too.  Cute outfits, gorgeous hairstyles, home decor ideas, gourmet meals, crafts, and enough children's activities to run yourself (and your children) ragged.

I'll let you in on a secret.  It's a secret that only three people realize about me.  The person I compare myself to the most, is myself.  Not the real, genuine me, but the person I think I should be.


I hate seeing myself in pictures, it thrusts how I really look right back at me.
I should be thinner and prettier.

I despise how I yell back at my three year old.
I should always be patient with him.

I feel fear when I sing off key in the kitchen.
I shouldn't sound so awful.

I wonder what is wrong with me when I forget something.
I should remember such simple things.

I am ashamed when I think about God's love for me and how I constantly put myself down.
I should have confidence in Him and always feel His love surrounding me.


Then, I hear myself speaking to my children.

"Don't worry about others.  You do your best and mommy will be proud of you."


I love my kids.  I want them to do their best and be the children, young adults and men that God wants them to be.  It is my constant prayer.  (Besides the hedge of protection.)

If I feel that way about my children, how does God feel about me?




Comparison




A life without worry, anxiety or fear is a lofty goal.  But, with practice, gentle reminders, diving into the bible on a consistent basis and supportive family and friends, I can move one step closer to that goal.  One step forward is one step closer to being the woman that God desires me to be.

No comments: