Monday, November 30, 2015

Don't Let Fear Stand in Your Way

The The edge of my comfort zone is a scary place.  Putting myself in a place were rejection is possible makes me want to run and hide.

I was talking with our two sons about a singing engagement I had agreed to do.  It's simple enough to get with a group of children to sing, play, dance, and learn, but there would be parents and other educators there.  That's what made me nervous.

I told the boys what I was having a hard time with, and Matthew looked shocked.  "But, mom!  You are the most mature person I know."

I guess being mature is a big deal for a nine year old.

I did the event.  Smiled and greeted everyone.  Sang my heart out, and engaged children, parents and teachers alike.

Then I came home and told my family about the moment I stood outside the building and thought about backing out. 

How I chose to walk inside. 

How friendly everyone was.

That I made some new friends. 
 
I told them about my (dramatic) chewing of the imaginary bubble gum and how it had the parents more amused than the children.


This is what I want my children to see and to understand.

Being an adult doesn't mean you stop being afraid.

Growing up doesn't make everything come easy.

You will have to work hard for your dreams and goals.

We must choose to not let fear stand in our way.


A clip from a class I did last night with an Early Head Start Group, their siblings, parents, and teachers.

https://youtu.be/cQI2dAmesjk


No comments: