Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Simple Question

"How are you?"  It's a simple question.  Sometimes I am the one asking.  Other times it is asked of me.

I attempt to make eye contact, turn my body towards the person.  As a highly distractable person, it's not always  simple.  Especially while I try to keep track of our two children.  As a mother whose business is mainly based from the home, who manages the daily running of the family, and who does the majority of the homeschooling, I am rarely ever alone.  Distracted is putting it mildly.



The response to the question is brief. 

Fine, good, well, tired, busy, can't complain, etc.

 Most of the time the other person asks as they are walking by.  Walking away.  

What connection there could have been is lost.

And so it goes...

The polite, well meaning, brief interactions that can leave a lonely person to feel even more isolated.

I see the problem.  At times, I am part of the problem.

We should ask a question when we care enough to take the time to listen and we should answer the question with more authenticity.  

Give the gift of acknowledging the person as important.

Give the gift of reaching out and sharing yourself with someone who may need to hear what you have to say.

Be real.  Slow down.  Connect.


No comments: