Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mistakes Will Not Define Me

It was a beautiful fall day.  The air was warm, there were a few leaves still clinging to their branches, and it smelled like autumn.  Schools had not yet let out for the day, and our small town was peaceful as we walked home from the park.

Liam's fifth birthday was fast approaching, and he was following the unwritten rule by jumping in every leaf pile we passed.  About halfway home, he started kicking and throwing the leaves.  The neat piles our neighbors had so diligently placed by the road began to look like a huge gust of wind had destroyed them.

"You have to keep them in the piles." I said.  "Our neighbors worked hard to get the leaves ready for the town to remove."

Then my oldest, Matthew, who was nine, piped in.  "You're a jerk, Liam."

This switched my focus from Liam to Matt.  "Your brother IS NOT a jerk.  He just made a mistake.  Mistakes do not define who he is."

An apology was given, leaves were (mostly) put back, and our day continued in the normal fashion.  Busy, loud, and chaotic.



Mistakes do not define him.  Mistakes do not define you.  Mistakes do not define me.

A misstep, a progression of neglect, even a lifetime of misjudgment, can not tell us who we are.

It's important to me that my children understand that they have a choice.  No matter how bad it is.  No matter how long it's been going on.  No matter who is involved.  They can choose to turn a different direction.

The desire to impress this principle upon my children makes me wonder.  What mistakes, bad habits, or character flaws I have resigned myself to accept who I am?



Mistakes will not define me.
Mistakes will not tell me who I am.
Mistakes will not take away my value.
Mistakes will not change that I am deeply and profoundly loved.




No comments: