Friday, May 17, 2013

Field Trip to the Fire Station

The boys and I went on a field trip today with a few people from the homeschool co-op group we belong to.  While we were waiting for everyone to arrive, Firefighter Johnny asked if we were on a time restriction.  I laughed and said that we had to get back to school.  Our group leader assured him that we were fine with time.  If you allow it, homeschooling can be freeing.  There are some who imitate school but I choose to live life, knowing that is how my children will learn best. 

My oldest son, Matthew is going to be seven in a week.  His brain goes about 3 million miles per second.  Maybe faster.  He asked Firefighter Johnny question after question.  "What if there was a fire at the fire station?"  That wouldn't look very good for us.  "What if a robber came into the fire station?"  We would call the police.  "What if the robber set a fire in the fire station?"  (At this point I distracted Matthew because I didn't want Firefighter Johnny's head to explode.)

Liam is two.  He has a split personality.  Having worked with this age group for many years, it's not something I need to get him treated for.  It's only a phase.  That's what I tell myself everyday.  It's only a phase.  This will pass.  Then my husband gets home from work and I say HELP!  Anyway, I expected Liam to be nervous and need to be held during the trip.  He did really good.  When the firefighter started putting his gear on to show the children, Liam needed to be held.  At this point, Liam decided he was all done with the firestation.  He did sit in the fire truck.  Two seconds later he was done.  We're making progress.  Maybe soon we can make it through a whole day without him hulking out on me.  A mom can dream... and pray.


No comments: