Thursday, February 11, 2016

My Kids In the Kitchen: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Liam was four when looked at his older brother, Matthew, and said "Will you please stop talking?  I want a turn to talk."

At five, Liam's still finding his voice.  The place where he fits.  His unique passions.  He gets exposure to various activities because his older brother is doing them.  

As his mom, I am constantly reminding myself to slow down, pay attention, and be open to what Liam is communicating. Most of the time, it's not through words.

As I tucked Liam into bed, he asked "Can we make chocolate chip cookies?"  "Well, not right now.  It's bedtime."  "No, not tonight.  Tomorrow." (He made it sound like THAT was obvious, but I'm pretty sure if I had said yes, he would have been out of that bed in two seconds.)  "Yes.  Tomorrow we can make cookies."

Yes.  It's a pretty simple word.  Kinda hard to say when you're mind is running through all the important things you have to get done.  Can I squeeze one more thing into my day?  One more activity that  doesn't feel like it's the highest priority?  I don't even want dozens of yummy cookies around, tempting me.  Mocking my will-power.

I have spent years choosing to make life less cluttered.  Our home, our schedule.
It's not perfect, but it helps me say YES.  To enjoy the yes.


Brotherly love. ❤️


Ready for the oven!


This was the batch that Liam scooped.


The yummy cookies.  This recipe has whole wheat flour and oatmeal in them.  They helped me feel a little less guilty.  A little.

No comments: