Thursday, February 4, 2016

My Kid in the Kitchen: Dinner and a Cooking Lesson

My nine year old chef, Matthew, has totally taken off with his cooking skills.  As a homeschooling mom who leans more towards organic, interest led learning, I get super excited every time I piece together all his accomplishments.

Note-  as much as I love and believe in the "organic, interest lead learning process", I still struggle with traditional schooling habits.  I guess you could say that this journey is not only about my children's education, but my continued education, too.


Matt independently made a spaghetti dinner.  He even browned the hamburger.  (Gulp!  Not sure why, but that was hard for me to let him do.)


Matthew, his brother, and two of their friends made chocolate chip oatmeal bars while I washed dishes.  One of their friend's, who is a natural leader, read the recipe and gave instructions.  The other three took turns measuring, pouring, and mixing.


Our neighbor invited Matt over to her house for a cooking lesson.  He made cheesecake and pizza dough.  I looked at the recipes he brought home and was thrilled to see that he had written part of it out.


It was a wonderful weekend full of delicious cheesecake!



The pizzas that Matt made with his pizza dough.  He needed help rolling it out because it was still cold from being in the fridge.


No comments: