Sunday, January 5, 2014

Changing My Destiny



I had heard people talk about belief systems before, I even remember studying what a belief system was in college.


"A belief system is a set of mutually supportive beliefs. The beliefs of any such system can be classified as religious, philosophical, ideological, or a combination of these. Philosopher Jonathan Glover says that beliefs are always part of a belief system, and that belief systems are difficult to completely revise."


I've been seeing a counselor to help me work through the depression I often struggle with and she brought up the subject of belief systems at my last session. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to quote her word for word, but this is basically what she said.


Everyone has a belief system. Your belief's turn into your choices. Choices become your habits, habits become your character and your character becomes your destiny.


She was talking to me about the spending freeze my husband and I had done and how amazing it was that we had changed our habits and stuck with it.  The main point of the spending freeze was to fix my husbands credit so that we could get a mortgage for a home. We did. We made different choices and although the process is not complete yet, we hopefully changed our future.


I've spent the last month going over what she said about the belief system and how it becomes your destiny. I guess I had always thought that my belief system was about the bigger things. I hadn't realized that my belief system affects my every day choices.


But it does and so, I have been examining lots of things that I do and questioning why I do them.




With God leading me down the path, I can and will change my destiny.




One choice at a time.

No comments: